Last week I had my first ever waxing experience at Lay Bare Waxing Salon, 5F Mega B SM Megamall branch. I availed of their Underarm, Full-Leg, and Bikini wax services.
Lay Bare Waxing Salon has individual rooms (private waxing cubicles) with beds and soothing interiors so you can just relax while your waxing sessions are ongoing.
Once inside the room, I was instructed to take off my lower garment – including the underwear. I was smiling silly as I remembered that I handed them a FREE Bikini Wax coupon too. So the waxing started, one lady on the bikini area and the other one waxing my right underarm.
Cold Sugar Wax
Lay Bare uses cold sugar wax only. Unlike hot wax, there’s no need to use a strip of cloth to remove the hair. The sticky wax has a golden amber color and looks just like honey being cooled inside the refrigerator. Using their fingers, the attendants will spread the cold wax on your skin and pull it in the opposite direction. The spreading and pulling of wax in different sections are repeated until almost all hair regrowths have been removed.
What to Expect:
- The cold wax method is less painful upon removal (since it doesn’t adhere to the skin as strongly), but sometimes needs to be applied repeatedly to get the best results. The repetition makes it “painful” and may cause skin irritation, ingrown hairs, and red bumps.
- Leg waxing services aren’t 100% hair free. The ladies had to thread the remaining hair on my legs.
- Your newly-waxed skin feels softer and smoother, unlike when you’re shaving.
- Don’t worry for they have soothing creams for stings.
Underarm Wax (5-10 minutes, Php 150)
Underarm waxing isn’t as painful as bikini waxing, but I experienced redness and inflammation right after the session. The attendants mentioned that they are normal for first timers. After 1 week, I don’t have much hair growth and yes, my armpit hair is now finer!
Bikini Wax (10-15 minutes, Php 300)
This. Really. Hurt. Hair in this area is thicker, therefore expect more paaaaaain. For first timers, I suggest you take a pain reliever before the session (too bad, my friend told me this AFTER i had my wax). From time to time I had to ask the attendant to stop. And unlike brazilian wax, bikini wax only focuses on the bikini area – the top and the sides – to prevent hair from peeking out.
Full-Leg Wax (20-30 minutes, Php 500)
Regular shaving leads to stubble and skin dryness. My legs instantly felt smoother after the session. Yay! But my dilemmas, again, were redness and inflammation, plus the occasional stings. After 1 week, hairs are finer and sparser but I have to deal with those stubborn ingrown hairs. I’ve read somewhere that mild, frequent exfoliation will do the trick.
FAQ’s from Lay Bare
- The hair should be at least 1/4 cm long to get waxed
- On average, a person should get an underarm wax every 3 weeks, half leg wax every 3-4 weeks, and Brazilian wax every 6 weeks
- You should wait at least 4 hours after the procedure before you can wash the waxed area
- For newly-waxed skin, do not expose to sunlight and do not apply anything for 24 hours
Firsts are always interesting. I find waxing a daring challenge, but much easier to do than bungee jumping or skinny dipping. It came to my senses that I am indeed a late bloomer, having my first boyfriend (turned husband) at the age of 21 and getting waxed at 24! Well it’s never too late for everything.
Would I dare try Brazilian? Hmm.. Ü
Lay Bare Waxing Rates as of July 2010
Lay Bare Waxing Salon
5F Mega B, SM Megamall, Mandaluyong City